Zonta Resource Centre
Aids is a big problem in India. Zonta Resource Centre is a shelter in Chennai for women with hiv and aids. They get a roof over their head, medical guidance and a practical way of spending the day.
Amaidhi Foundation – supported by the funds Wilde Ganzen and ICCO – has subscribed money to build a new building for the women. The old building was too old and in a bad state. Another disadvantage was that the property in question was rented.
A new building was already built for the Zonta Resourrce Centre in 2004. But it was only put into use some years later under the name Zonta "Amaidhi" Resource Centre. Villagers who live around this new building impeded the move from the old to the new place for a few years. They also destroyed the surrounding wall and part of the building. They were against the arrival of women with aids to their village.
In the meantime peace has returned and the women have been living in the house for a number of years . During our annual visit to the project, we always take the Zonta house women along for a trip.
Zonta is an international women's organization, similar to Rotary-and Lionsclubs. The Chennai/Madras department of this organization runs the shelter. The Zonta-division in Chennai is one of the three Indian departments. The other two are located in Kolkatta (Calcutta) and New Delhi..
Zonta Chennai has formed a separate foundation which manages the Zonta Resource Centre. It contains a number of women from the division.
Now the Centre is in existence, Amaidhi considers this project as closed.
The goals of Zonta International:
- Service to the community world wide and in the neighbourhood.
- Advancing the legal, political and economic status of women and their position in the fields of education, health care and labour conditions.
- Propagating understanding and peace through a world wide gathering of business women and professional women.
- Propagating justice and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- An international fellowship that propagates high ethical standards and serves the community and that gives mutual support to its members.